American 'faith' in organized religion drops to an all-time low
By D. Beeksma
On July 14, 2012 At 12:35 am
Responses : 2 Comments
- Virginia gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli's extremist viewsDecember 4, 2012
- Baptist Pastor still in hot water over sexual assault suitDecember 4, 2012
- Louisiana court strikes down private school voucher planDecember 4, 2012
- Shopping With Satan: Grocery Store EvangelistsDecember 3, 2012
- Atheists labeled 'fanatical terrorists' by Leesburg, Virginia officialDecember 3, 2012
Gallup reports that confidence in organized religion has hit an all-time low in the United States. There has been a steady decline since the 1970s.
The survey found that Catholics had less confidence in organized religion than Protestants. Gallup speculated that this difference could be attributed to the high profile child sex abuse scandals associated with the Catholic Church that have been reported over the last few years.
Although there is a growing skepticism toward organized religion, Gallup finds that "the decline in confidence does not necessarily indicate a decline in Americans' personal attachment to religion. The percentage of Americans saying religion is very important in their lives has held fairly steady since the mid-1970s, after dropping sharply from 1952 levels."
One of the growing crowd of American "nones" herself, Deborah is a prolific writer who finds religion, spirituality and the impact of belief (and non-belief) on culture inspiring, fascinating and at times, disturbing. She hosts the God Discussion show and handles the site's technical work. Her education and background is in business, ecommerce and law.
Seek and you shall find …
Notes and Announcements
GodDiscussion.com is a news and review service targeted for the growing number of people who are not associated with organized religion (we're a Google news site). Our mission is to inform and to get people having all points of view communicating. Our writers and contributors are theist, atheist and maybe somewhere in between. See our about page.
This week's poll: Will humankind ever evolve beyond war? Take a second to vote in our current poll.
Dimensions, with Sheri Lawson: The spiritual path and Mayan calendar are Sheri's topics for the New Age segment of the God Discussion show on December 4.
View the calendar for upcoming shows and guests.
Get Our Daily Feed
Get our daily news and article headlines by email or RSS feed. Subscribe to God Discussion
Recently posted …
- Virginia gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli's extremist views
- Baptist Pastor still in hot water over sexual assault suit
- Louisiana court strikes down private school voucher plan
- Cutting scientific research and development will wound the nation both spiritually and economically, says Bill Nye, the Science Guy
- Think you or your teens are possessed? Call the Catholic Church's exorcism hotline.
- Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed at All
- Sheri Lawson's Dimensions this week on the God Discussion show
- Shopping With Satan: Grocery Store Evangelists
- Child marriages challenged in Malaysia after wedding of twelve year old