Secular Woman Inc. is the first national organization for atheist, humanist, and non-religious women and they just launched their website called Secular Woman.
On June 28, 2012, Secular Woman Inc made its debut as the first organization for atheist, humanist, and other non-religious women. The organization’s vision is "a future in which women without supernatural beliefs have the opportunities and resources they need to participate openly and confidently as respected voices of leadership in the secular community and every aspect of American society."
"With this organization we plan to focus on promoting the secular female voice, but anyone who supports our mission can join," said Bridget Gaudette. "All are vital to the success of Secular Woman and to the overall secular movement."
The leaders and co-founders of the organization are Brandi Braschler, Vice President of Programs; Bridget Gaudette, Vice President of Outreach; and Mary Ellen Sikes, Vice President of Operations. These four women make up the board of directors and bring more than 40 years of Secular and women’s rights activism experience to the organization.
The Secular Woman Inc is a non-profit and its mission is to “amplify the voice, presence, and influence of non-religious women.” Their vision is to strive for “a future in which women without supernatural beliefs have the opportunities and resources they need to participate openly and confidently as respected voices of leadership in the secular community and every aspect of American society.”
Their values embrace humanism.
- We embrace human-centered ethics informed by reason and science. We reject dogma, superstition, pseudoscience, and religious authority as sources of morality and truth.
- We hold that all human beings are entitled to freedom from others' religious ideologies in living their lives, engaging with service providers, and interacting with government.
They value health and sexuality.
- We support every person's right to bodily and sexual autonomy. Gender expression, sexual orientation, and matters of intimacy are for individuals to determine.
- We view age-appropriate, comprehensive, medically accurate health and sex education as vital to responsible decision-making by young people.
- We oppose all attempts to criminalize or limit access to comprehensive reproductive services such as contraception and abortion.
- We affirm that everyone has the right to feel safe, confident, and secure in their personal and emotional interactions. We oppose harassment, bullying, objectification, and other forms of aggression both physical and non-physical in all settings.
They also value family and relationships, feminism, and Secular community. They abhor the use of religion to suppress women, insisting that women have basic human rights equal to that of men.
Through strategic partnerships, Secular Woman will also advocate for equal pay, reproductive choice, and marriage equality, addressing political trends the group sees as ideologically-motivated threats to its members' freedom of conscience. "The 'War on Women' dovetailing with the rise of secular activism showed us the time had come for secular women to form our own distinct organization to support our vision of the future," said Kim Rippere, a Secular Woman founder and the organization's first president. "Secular women have always been at front and center of the feminist quest for equality and autonomy."