Sponsored by the American Humanist Association, the National Day of Reason is scheduled to coincide with the National Day of Prayer on May 3.
Roy Speckhardt, Executive Director of the American Humanist Association, writes that "Now, more than ever, America needs a Day of Reason." The American Humanist Association explains,
With the religious right’s influence in Congress, and with the threat to our Judiciary looming large, there has never been as important a moment in which to affirm our commitment to the Constitutional separation of religion and government, and to celebrate Reason as the guiding principle of our secular democracy.
During the past year we have witnessed the intrusion of religious ideology into all spheres of our government, with such assaults on the wall separating church and state as:
- Faith-based initiatives in federal agencies that give preferential treatment to religious organizations which proselytize and employ discriminatory hiring practices;
- Restrictions on important scientific research on the basis of religious objections;
- Attempts to introduce biblical creationism and its alter-ego “Intelligent Design” into our public school science curricula;
- The appointment of judges who willingly place their religious beliefs above our laws;
- Battles over the display of the Ten Commandments and other overtly religious icons in schools and on courthouses;
- Religiously motivated restrictions on access to reproductive services and information;
As in previous years, this year’s National Day of Reason is scheduled to coincide with the Congressionally-mandated and federally-supported National Day of Prayer.
The American Humanist Association invites groups that are sponsoring National Day of Reason events to post their events on its website. So far, the majority of events appear to be in Arizona — in Flagstaff, Prescott, Phoenix and Cottonwood (the Verde Valley/Sedona Freethinkers). The National Day of Reason is also asking the president to acknowledge, through a presidential proclamation, that reason is a practical solution to the nation's problems. People can sign the petition here.