Austrian Pastafarian Gets Drivers License While Wearing Colander
On July 14, 2011 At 11:15 am
Category : Atheism, Agnosticism, Non-Theism, Bloggers and Columnists, Mriana Brinson
Tags : Church Of The Flying Spaghetti Monster, Face, Flying Spaghetti Monster, Headgear, john turley, License, Member, pasta strainer
Responses : 5 Comments
- No pasta in Philadelphia Christmas recipeNovember 30, 2012
- Televangelist Pat Robertson featured on billboard campaign for the legalization of marijuanaJuly 19, 2012
- Tiny little Christian cross orbiting the Earth "in the face of Satan" can now be tracked by satelliteJune 18, 2012
- The Vatican inquisition of nuns continues as it criticizes Margaret Farley and her book for not adhering to Catholic doctrine concerning sexJune 4, 2012
- Lakota man possibly victim of a hate crime in a South Dakota hospitalMay 6, 2012
Austrian atheist, Niko Alm, a member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, won the right to wear his “religious headgear” while getting his picture taken for his new driver’s license. Three years ago, he discovered religious headgear was leaglly allowed, as long as one’s face can be seen, for driver’s licenses.
Three years ago, after Alm’s Noodly God touched him and gave him the idea, he applied for a driver’s license, stating that the pasta strainer was part of his Pastafarian religious practice. Because he face was visible, authorities approved it, but denied religious grounds as basis of approval.
According to Alm, the Noodly God impressed upon his mind to make the ironically serious point. If his sanity is in question, he past the psychologically test for driving.
After receiving his application the Austrian authorities had required him to obtain a doctor's certificate that he was "psychologically fit" to drive.
He is mentally fit to drive as any other religious person who believes their god speaks to them and tells them what to do and wear.
The licence took three years to come through and, according to Mr Alm, he was asked to submit to a medical interview to check on his mental fitness to drive but – straining credulity – his efforts have finally paid off.
It is the police who issue driving licences in Austria, and they have duly issued a laminated card showing Mr Alm in his unorthodox item of religious headgear.
According to John Turley, “It is not clear if he listed his weight as al dente.”
The mostly Catholic country was not amused by Alm’s religious satire.
Mriana is a humanist and the author of "A Source of Misery". She has two grown sons and raises cats. She enjoys writing, reading, science, philosophy, psychology, and other subjects. Mriana is also an animal lover, who cares for their welfare as living beings, who are part of the earth. She is a huge Star Trek fan in a little body.
Seek and you shall find …
Notes and Announcements
GodDiscussion.com is a news and review service targeted for the growing number of people who are not associated with organized religion (we're a Google news site). Our mission is to inform and to get people having all points of view communicating. Our writers and contributors are theist, atheist and maybe somewhere in between. See our about page.
Current poll: Do you know anyone who believes the world will end December 21, 2012? Take a second and let us know in our current poll.
What are you doing for the apocalypse? Join Emmy-nominee Thomas Quinn, Al and Deborah on the Dec. 21 Freethought Friday segment of the God Discussion show for an irreverent discussion about what to do with a chocolate Jesus, the war on Christmas, the Mayan calendar and other fun, fact-filled topics.
View the calendar for upcoming shows and guests.
Get Our Daily Feed
Get our daily news and article headlines by email or RSS feed. Subscribe to God Discussion
Recently posted …
- New Delhi police lock down city in response to gang-rape rioting
- Swaziland outlaws miniskirts, says they provoke rape
- Todd Akin Anti-Gay provision included in defense bill
- Televangelist Marilyn Hickey claims to work miracles for Pakistanis attending her prayer meetings
- Militants fire rocket aimed at southern Israel
- Only 0.2 percent of the global population is Jewish, and 16 percent of them are 'nones'
- Pope Benedict XVI pardons imprisoned butler
- Pope says mankind at stake over gay marriage
- Marriage equality will lead to civil war according to Liberty Counsel