Federal Taxes due tonight at 11:59pm
By Dakota O'Leary
On April 18, 2011 At 3:23 pm
Responses : No Comments
- Televangelist Pat Robertson featured on billboard campaign for the legalization of marijuanaJuly 19, 2012
- Tiny little Christian cross orbiting the Earth "in the face of Satan" can now be tracked by satelliteJune 18, 2012
- Whooping Cough halted in Jefferson County Washington, Kingdom League International taking credit for halting the "epidemic" with prayerMay 28, 2012
- Catholic League and Bill Donohue campaign against Jon StewartApril 24, 2012
- This week on the God Discussion show … A night of fiction and dominionismApril 18, 2012
If you haven't filed your taxes yet, you still have till 11:59pm tonight Eastern Time to get them postmarked with April 18th's date or electronically filed. Normally taxes would be due April 15, but the District of Columbia's holiday celebrating Emancipation Day had the same effect that a federal holiday would have on the rest of the country–because the 15th of April fell on a weekend of a holiday, the IRS traditionally allows filings to be made the next business day, or in this case, Monday, 18 April. TownTalk.com adds:
Those who have tax liability face penalties if they do not file by the due date. Taxpayers can file for an extension by the due date, but that is an extension to file only, not an extension to pay. People with unpaid tax liability after the due date face a monthly late-payment penalty and an annual interest charge.The IRS is again urging people to use its Free File service to ensure their returns are filed on time and to cut down on administrative costs. The service can be found at www.irs.gov/efile.
A partial list of documents to have an hand when preparing a return or having one prepared for you includes:
»Wage Statements (Form W-2)
»All other income amounts
»Unemployment compensation received (Form W-2G)
»Social Security card(s)
»Dependents' Social Security numbers and dates of birth
»Last year's federal and state tax returns; last year's state refund amount (if applicable)
»Mortgage interest paid and real estate taxes (Form 1098)
»Total of all cash and non-cash charitable contributions
»Any records to support your deductions
»Form HUD-1 or its equivalent if filing for a First-Time Homeowner Credit
Dakota O'Leary is a freethinker, and often sassy, scholar of theology and literature. She got her Bachelor of Arts degree in English and Theology from the State University of New York College at Buffalo, and her Master of Arts degree in Theology and Literature from Antioch University-Midwest. She is a contributing writer focusing on eschatology, biblical prophecy, and general religious news. Dakota is a co-host of the God Discussion radio show, offering insight to the news stories of the week. We like to call her "our in-house Biblical prophecy expert" as her articles on eschatology have received over 200,000 views on God Discussion.
Seek and you shall find …
Notes and Announcements
GodDiscussion.com is a news and review service targeted for the growing number of people who are not associated with organized religion (we're a Google news site). Our mission is to inform and to get people having all points of view communicating. Our writers and contributors are theist, atheist and maybe somewhere in between. See our about page.
Current poll: Do you know anyone who believes the world will end December 21, 2012? Take a second and let us know in our current poll.
Ghosts of Christmas Past? On Dec. 14, join us for a trip into the paranormal, with internationally-acclaimed supernatural thriller author Chandler McGrew and demonologist/exorcist Kirby Robinson on the God Discussion show.
View the calendar for upcoming shows and guests.
Get Our Daily Feed
Get our daily news and article headlines by email or RSS feed. Subscribe to God Discussion
Recently posted …
- Michigan Senator Patrick Colbeck claims Divine Providence in anti-union law
- Gun rights group says anti-gun advocates have the blood of little children on their hands
- Dr. James Dobson joins ranks of those who claim Connecticut massacre was God's judgment
- American pastor blames mass murder of children on 'British redcoats' Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens
- Pope and Palestinian Authority president meet at the Vatican
- Existence of Bigfoot called more likely than homosexual orientation
- Allegations of racism and bigotry befall Pennsylvania school board member
- An estimated 150,000 gather in France for same-sex marriage adoption rally
- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton sustains concussion from fainting