Evangelicals Want a Government Shutdown Instead of Compromise
By D. Beeksma
On April 8, 2011 At 5:35 am
Responses : 2 Comments
- Homeland Security heavily involved in social network surveillanceNovember 16, 2012
- American churches projected to become more relationship, community and Jesus orientedNovember 15, 2012
- Protests in Spain that lead to mass arrests are spreading across EuropeNovember 14, 2012
- Hispanic evangelical leader wants real solutions, not references to God for political pointsOctober 21, 2012
- Thoughts on America no longer having a Protestant (ideological) majorityOctober 12, 2012
Using additional data from a recent Pew Forum survey about a budget compromise vs. government shutdown, Christianity Today reports that evangelicals prefer a shutdown over compromise.
They are unwilling to compromise on issues such as funding Planned Parenthood.
The majority of Americans, however, prefer that a compromise is reached. A budget must be decided upon by midnight tonight if a federal government shutdown is to be avoided.
What does a shutdown mean?
The government doesn't really shut down if an agreement is not reached. Social Security checks will still go out. Troops will remain at their posts. Virtually every essential government agency will remain open. Fewer than one in four government workers will stay at home.
One of the growing crowd of American "nones" herself, Deborah is a prolific writer who finds religion, spirituality and the impact of belief (and non-belief) on culture inspiring, fascinating and at times, disturbing. She hosts the God Discussion show and handles the site's technical work. Her education and background is in business, ecommerce and law.
Seek and you shall find …
Notes and Announcements
GodDiscussion.com is a news and review service targeted for the growing number of people who are not associated with organized religion (we're a Google news site). Our mission is to inform and to get people having all points of view communicating. Our writers and contributors are theist, atheist and maybe somewhere in between. See our about page.
Current poll: Do you know anyone who believes the world will end December 21, 2012? Take a second and let us know in our current poll.
Ghosts of Christmas Past? On Dec. 14, join us for a trip into the paranormal, with internationally-acclaimed supernatural thriller author Chandler McGrew and demonologist/exorcist Kirby Robinson on the God Discussion show.
View the calendar for upcoming shows and guests.
Get Our Daily Feed
Get our daily news and article headlines by email or RSS feed. Subscribe to God Discussion
Recently posted …
- Neurosurgeon who claims he saw heaven tells Fox News that Sandy Hook victims will remember massacre in heaven
- Comedian Russell Brand interviews the Westboro Baptist Church; hilarity ensues, with a point
- Celebrating the Wiccan holiday of Yule, when dark gives way to light
- Georgia group seeks further de-regulation of guns while State Senator Loudermilk seeks prayer over legislation
- South Carolina bill would imprison government workers for implementing 'Obamacare'
- Kansas Christian cultist indicted for murder
- UK High Court rules Scientology chapel is not a meeting place for religious worship
- Missouri Rep. Todd Akin seeks to block repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'
- American Atheists, SOMA, and We Are Atheism giving aid to Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims' families;