The United States' perception that it is a leading light on protecting freedom and human rights has come under criticism. Recent UN criticism is leaving Washington battling to restore its reputation on rights, as reported by Russia Today. Among some of the criticisms by activists and the United Nations:
- The right to life, liberty and security of innocent persons is threatened by U.S. warfare tactics, including drones.
- The U.S. has subjected persons to torture.
- The U.S. has the world's largest prison population, with 2.3 million behind bars and more than 3,000 behind death row.
- Nearly 43 million Americans live in poverty, 15 million are unemployed, and an estimated 1 million families are set to lose their homes this year. Millions do not have adequate health care.
- Islamaphobia, police brutality and racial profiling occur nationwide.
The U.N. Human Rights Commission made 228 recommendations on how the United States can improve its human rights record.