Gay Couple Faces Housing Discrimination
By D. Beeksma
On February 23, 2010 At 7:38 am
Responses : No Comments
- Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne proposes firearms training to 'shoot to kill' for school employeesDecember 26, 2012
- Los Angeles Times publishes Boy Scouts sexual abuse recordsDecember 26, 2012
- New Delhi police lock down city in response to gang-rape riotingDecember 24, 2012
- Swaziland outlaws miniskirts, says they provoke rapeDecember 24, 2012
- Todd Akin Anti-Gay provision included in defense billDecember 24, 2012
West Virginia is one of thirty states that does not have a law that prevents a landlord from turning down a potential tenant because he or she is gay. The federal housing authority also has no laws protecting gays and lesbians from housing discrimination.
Two women in West Virginia claim that they were led to believe by a landlord that they would have an apartment rental by the end of the month but the landlord backed away, saying he was uncomfortable with their lifestyle. The landlord told news reporters that he said no such thing.
Nonetheless, gays and lesbians who are denied housing because of their sexual orientation often have no recourse.
(The video will load in a few seconds.)
One of the growing crowd of American "nones" herself, Deborah is a prolific writer who finds religion, spirituality and the impact of belief (and non-belief) on culture inspiring, fascinating and at times, disturbing. She hosts the God Discussion show and handles the site's technical work. Her education and background is in business, ecommerce and law.
Seek and you shall find …
Notes and Announcements
GodDiscussion.com is a news and review service targeted for the growing number of people who are not associated with organized religion (we're a Google news site). Our mission is to inform and to get people having all points of view communicating. Our writers and contributors are theist, atheist and maybe somewhere in between. See our about page.
Current poll: Do you know anyone who believes the world will end December 21, 2012? Take a second and let us know in our current poll.
What are you doing for the apocalypse? Join Emmy-nominee Thomas Quinn, Al and Deborah on the Dec. 21 Freethought Friday segment of the God Discussion show for an irreverent discussion about what to do with a chocolate Jesus, the war on Christmas, the Mayan calendar and other fun, fact-filled topics.
View the calendar for upcoming shows and guests.
Get Our Daily Feed
Get our daily news and article headlines by email or RSS feed. Subscribe to God Discussion
Recently posted …
- Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne proposes firearms training to 'shoot to kill' for school employees
- Los Angeles Times publishes Boy Scouts sexual abuse records
- New Delhi police lock down city in response to gang-rape rioting
- Swaziland outlaws miniskirts, says they provoke rape
- Todd Akin Anti-Gay provision included in defense bill
- Televangelist Marilyn Hickey claims to work miracles for Pakistanis attending her prayer meetings
- Militants fire rocket aimed at southern Israel
- Only 0.2 percent of the global population is Jewish, and 16 percent of them are 'nones'
- Pope Benedict XVI pardons imprisoned butler