Orthodox Witness Today
On May 29, 2009 At 6:30 am
Responses : No Comments
- The End of God TalkDecember 27, 2012
- Death and suffering for the glory of God?November 5, 2012
- American History, Politics And The Religious RightOctober 23, 2012
- Religion puts humanity in a place of degradationOctober 19, 2012
- Conservative author Dinesh D'Souza resigns from Kings College after scandal with married womanOctober 19, 2012
This anthology of essays is an exploration of Christianity and secularisation in contemporary society, expressed in the author's distinctive voice. He provides a broad view of central issues in inter-Orthodox, Orthodox-Protestant and Orthodox-Catholic dialogues. The book describes Christian churches and ecumenical bodies that are under pressure both from modern culture and due to their own, internal struggles. Social forces of secularisation act on churches and individuals, causing faith to become more personal as religion is robbed of its proper public role. Some respond to modernity by trying to revise traditional standards of belief and practice. The contrast between such theological experimentation and the preservation of tradition is seen as a fundamental source of the churches' disunity. Drawing on extensive experience of ecumenical encounters, the bishop calls for the opening of "a true dialogue, not just a monologue", a dialogue in which "we must be able not only to criticize others, but also to be self-critical".
Seek and you shall find …
Notes and Announcements
GodDiscussion.com is a news and review service targeted for the growing number of people who are not associated with organized religion (we're a Google news site). Our mission is to inform and to get people having all points of view communicating. Our writers and contributors are theist, atheist and maybe somewhere in between. See our about page.
Is teaching children that they will burn in hell a form of abuse? That's our question in this week's poll. It only takes a second to vote.
Join award-winning author and former NPR freelance journalist Janet Heimlich on the God Discussion show with Al and Deborah on Friday, January 18. Janet reveals the dark side of religion in BREAKING THEIR WILL: Shedding Light on Religious Child Maltreatment.
View the calendar for upcoming shows and guests.
Get Our Daily Feed
Get our daily news and article headlines by email or RSS feed. Subscribe to God Discussion
Recently posted …
- Indonesian judge makes a classy joke in Supreme Court interview: Rape victims enjoy rape
- American Atheists, Inc. calls out Florida school leadership for showing religious favoritism
- Boeing changes course, will now provide pension benefits to same-sex married couples
- Alleged meth dealing priest arrested in Connecticut in drug ring bust; liked sex in rectory according to sources
- If you hear God talking to you, you're not crazy says academic researcher
- A tug-of-war over God: Non-Muslims in Malaysia banned from using the word "Allah" despite 2009 high court ruling
- According to Texas public school bible classes, races come from Noah, earth 6000 years old
- Abuse charges filed against Pastor who advocates corporal punishment
- Educational forum and protests against hereditary religion to take place worldwide on Sunday